210215 What I learned in my studies this morning

Today's Tao:

There is no greater catastrophe than underestimating the enemy. 
By underestimating the enemy, I risk losing what I value.

From The Daily Stoic: 

Two days ago, I reminded myself to avoid temptation . . . then failed miserably yesterday. I overindulged, eating too much and eating the wrong things. I completely forgot my lesson from that morning: think of how I will feel after the momentary pleasure, after I've given in to temptation. 

It's something I need to work on. A lot. 

That lesson is about anticipating the real, as confirmed by innumerable repetition, consequences of my actions. Today, I turn to anticipating false consequences of imagined actions. 
 
“Clear your mind and get a hold on yourself and, as when awakened from sleep and realizing it was only a bad dream upsetting you, wake up and see that what’s there is just like those dreams.”—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, 6.31

The Stoics remind me again and again to beware foolish dread. How much stress and injury do I do to my life by dreaming of horrible things which will almost certainly never come to pass? 

Stoics also advise me to contemplate possible bad outcomes so as to be ready to calmly deal with them should they arise. 

There's an important difference to note here: the latter is about considering likely, as judged by experience, outcomes which may be difficult to handle. The former is about allowing irrational emotions, unfounded fears to disrupt my peace and capture my thoughts. 

One helps me be prepared for unfortunate eventualities. The other drains me of resolve and impairs my ability to function. 

From Eric Hoffer, Part III, Unifying Agents:

The Effects of Unification 

Unification begets unification. The Movement leaders use social, economic, and physical compulsion to prevent the mental liberation of those few who might otherwise be capable of finding satisfaction in life outside the Movement. 

(The True Believer, XIV-103)

Comments