210414 What I learned in my studies this morning

Come with me, and we'll be 
In a world of pure imagination 
What is wondrous and scary, nefarious and chary, place to be. 

(Sorry it's not a haiku. The lyrics were stuck in my head this morning when I woke up and demanded to used.  So I riffed off of them. Besides, in Japanese, maybe this would be a haiku.) 

Today's Meditation:

A Calendar of Wisdom by Leo Tolstoy

Wealth itself is not a problem. It's what some people do to get it, or what they do with it once they have it, that is a problem.  Some people acquire wealth legitimately. Others not so much. 

I am more disquieted by the imbalance in power than wealth. It's the tyrant with a pen and enforcers I fear, not the robber baron. 

From The Daily Stoic: 

There are some things worth knowing and some things not worth knowing. I think I've taken a step in the right direction with these morning studies, but there's still so much to do.

From Happy by Derren Brown:

Here, Derren Brown is quoting David McRaney’s book You Are Not So Smart. 

Our memory is not a simple history. There is one aspect which is a database of facts we use for information about the world, but it's much more than that.  It's a personal narrative that we tell ourselves, shaped by the people in our past . . . and it's not wholly accurate. 

Distortions and misinterpretations abound, causing us to misread the story of our life. Part of wisdom is unlearning the lies we tell ourselves about who we are. Discarding them and building a new, more accurate picture of where we came from and how we got to the place we are now. 

Comments