210530 What I learned in my studies this morning

Life goes on and on, 
A quick stream which never stops. 
Ever down to the sea. 

From The Daily Stoic: 

Am I working toward something or just working?  Do I have a goal in mind? Is it a worthy goal? 

I understand the value of relaxing. It calms. It restores. It lets you unwind and rebuild your store of energy and resolve for what lies ahead.  Relaxing isn't the problem. 

Being lazy is a problem.  
Going off track is a problem. 
Procrastinating is a problem. 

Whether these problems arise through accident, mistaken aim, or inattention, they are mistakes I can correct. 

When it's time to work, I need to know what I am working for.  That's the purpose of an examined life. That's why I study. 

From A Guide to the Good Life by William B. Irvine 

Chapter 12: Grief — On Vanquishing Tears with Reason

A major Stoic technique for handling grief is one we've seen them use before in other circumstances: negative visualization.

Imagining the loss of a loved one while you still have them accomplishes two important things: 1) it prepares you for a time when you may lose them in real life and 2) it makes you appreciate even more the time you do have together.

I wish I'd known this a decade ago. It would have helped me immensely.

But I do know it now. And now it makes a huge difference for me. I .

I am more attentive to my family. I listen more closely to my wife and I spend more time with my kids. I value our time together more intensely as I know firsthand that it can be cut short.

Do you want to improve your relationships right now? Today? 

Spend time thinking deeply about what life would be like if you lost your spouse, your child, your friend. Even your pets. Really think through how you would miss them and all the things that would be missing from your life.

I promise, you will not mind that pecadillo that bugged you all day yesterday. You will overlook that mistake and this error. You will find them as wonderful as you ever have.

Go. Do. I'll see you tomorrow. 

Comments