210601 What I learned in my studies this morning

Back to the office. 
A good chance to practice my
Stoic calm and peace. 

From The Daily Stoic: 

No matter what happens, I choose my state of mind. I can despair or I can hope. I can give up or I can learn. I can stew and fret and allow myself all the psychic tribulations on the menu or I can resolve to make the most of my situation and continue. 

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind. ~ Mahatma Gandhi
 
Today's Meditation:

From A Calendar of Wisdom by Leo Tolstoy

From A Guide to the Good Life by William B. Irvine 

Chapter 13: Anger — On Overcoming Anti-Joy

Anger clouds our judgment.  It pushed us into rash actions.  It lets loose words which can never be unsaid.  It creates rifts between people which need not exist.

So much of our life would be easier if we did not experience anger. Since that is not possible, the best we can do is to control it as quickly and effectively as we can.

Tomorrow and following, we'll explore Stoic ways to do just that.

Comments