210610 What I learned in my studies this morning
Day-to-day studies
Convinced I'm making progress.
Danger. Be humble.
Daily Stoic:
Do or do not. There is no try.
I'm not an envious person by nature — usually I'm really good at seeing another's fortune and feeling genuinely glad for them rather than bad for myself — even so, I do sometimes find myself wishing I could do what others seem to do with ease.
Then I remind myself that, short of some masterful talent in that other person or a physical limitation of my body (i.e. I'm never going to dunk a basketball no matter how much I practice), I can do what they do . . . if I were to put in the hours they have to become proficient in that skill.
Today's lesson is exactly that: if I truly want to be able to do something, I must be willing to put in the practice. If I do, I can achieve much more than I already have mastered.
Today's Meditation:
From Zen Flesh Zen Bones by Paul Reps and Nyogen Senzaki
From A Guide to the Good Life by William B. Irvine
Chapter 15: Personal Values — On Luxurious Living
Expensive tastes are expensive. It's tautological, but still wise.
Fancy food, lavish dress, fast cars, impressive houses . . . these thing not only cost a lot to buy, but also have associated upkeep costs that simple trappings do not.
The more you feel like you have to have A, the more you will need to invest in A . . . and B and C and XYZ to make sure you get the most pleasure you can out of A.
Expensive tastes control you. When you become accustomed to fine living, you will find yourself searching for something finer. Hedonic adaptation applies to any level of comfort, even that enjoyed by billionaires. Stoics suggest stepping off the treadmill even before it is starts.
By teaching yourself to enjoy simple things, you can all but guarantee that you will be able to find happiness most anywhere. If you appreciate a simple sandwich, it will be easy to find satisfaction in your daily life. If you can only feel satisfied with caviar and the finest wines, you've set yourself up for frequent frustration.

Comments
Post a Comment
Please note that I am not saying I agree or disagree with what is posted above. It is merely a recording of what I read this morning.