211106 What I learned in my studies this morning

Length. Volume. Total. 
Sum of life in boundaries. 
Limits of my being. 
 
Daily Stoic:


Of the three fates, it was Clotho who weaved the cloth of our lives. She choose the born and those who were unborn.  Who received good fortune, and who bad. 

Whether a Divine Will (see yesterday) guides my life or blind Fates draw my string, or it's deterministic motion through the Void, or a Swerve which introduces randomness in a clockwork universe, sometimes things will happen to me which I neither asked for nor expected. 

They become facts about life I must deal with, desired or not, ready or not. 

The bets I can do is the best I can do. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. 

Today's Meditation:


Today's Meditation II:


Today's Pirsig:

Long today because this is the crux of this part of the book. And I find it interesting, to boot. 

Daily Shakespeare / New Word I Learned Today:

Macbeth | Act 5 Scene 1


hamartia /ˌhämärˈtēə/ I. noun a fatal flaw leading to the downfall of a tragic hero or heroine. – origin late 18th cent.: Greek, ‘fault, failure, guilt’; the term was used in Aristotle's Poetics with reference to ancient Greek tragedy.

-----

"Hamartia as it pertains to dramatic literature was first used by Aristotle in his Poetics. In tragedy, hamartia is commonly understood to refer to the protagonist's error or tragic flaw that leads to a chain of actions which culminate in a reversal of events from felicity to disaster.

What qualifies as the error or flaw varies, and can include an error resulting from ignorance, an error of judgment, an inherent flaw in the character, or a wrongdoing. The spectrum of meanings has invited debate among critics and scholars and different interpretations among dramatists.

In a tragedy, a protagonist's flaw in their personality is called hamartia, which leads to a heroic decline toward a tragic end. The term covers deeds that are unworthy of a hero. A classic instance of hamartia is where a hero wishes to attain a worthy goal but yields to a moral error while working toward it, bringing about catastrophic results. Such downward movement for a heroic character is considered a reversal of fortune, or peripeteia."

Comments