230124 What I learned in my studies this morning 3

Reading for knowledge.
Reading for understanding.
Read for mastery.

Read for joy. 

Thoughts:

I reread books, especially those whose content I care about. 

For example, I'm exploring a philosophy book with my two eldest children, Nasty, Brutish, and Short by Scott Hershovitz. We read each and discuss chapter twice, once for the big picture, once for fine details. Over all, since each kid is doing a different chapter each week, I end up reading most of them 6-7 times. I almost feel like I could restate his arguments properly. 

My favorite book is Siddhartha. I've read / listened to it probably 15+ times. Every time I discover something new which I had not appreciated previously.  

It's a special ritual for me . . . when I am overwhelmed, or depressed, or spirituality confused, I can return to Siddhartha and find my center, my balance. 

Rereading worthy books is necessary if I want to truly appreciate their message. It's also a source of psychological comfort, like greeting an old friend and resuming a long-delayed conversation.*

Today's Meditation:


Today's Music:

Mass for Five Voices, 5: Agnus Dei by William Byrd

==========

* Just found out I inadvertently managed to almost quote Descartes here.  

<<The reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest men of past centuries. ― René Descartes>>

Comments