230128 What I learned in my studies this morning 3

ABCs begun, 
Elementary lessons
Guide me from before. 

Thoughts:

Today's Stoic thought is about learning wisdom from good sources and using them as a guide to life. 

Studying the examples of people from history who have both been judged as wise, but whom I myself find wise (Just because a person is held up by common approbation as an example does not mean that they are a good example for me.)

Stoics fit well with my temperament. I find them easy (-er) to understand and to learn from. I find Stoic techniques natural to my mind and appropriate to my natural tendencies. I find their examples enlightening, if not always convincing. 

But I do not limit myself to what comes easily.  I read things with which I disagree, which challenge me, which make me consider, and reconsider, my thoughts and opinions. Forcing myself to question what I think I know and to discover better reasons and evidence for those ideas I retain beyond their questioning.

I understand to well that I am subject to biases and blind spots. That I may not be seeing fallacies in my logic or weaknesses in my argument or in my marshaled support of that argument. 

I must be wary of complacency and ease. It can cause me to seek comfort rather than the truth.

Today's Meditation:


Today's Meditation II:


Today's Music:

'L'Heure exquise' – 'The Exquisite Hour' from Chansons grises, no. 5 by Reynaldo Hahn


Comments