230729 What I learned in my studies this morning 3


Moving things around.
Making innovating renovations.
New things are coming.

Today's Meditation:

Today's Meditation II:

Today's Meditation III:


Thoughts:

"Ta eph’hemin, ta ouk eph’hemin" "What is up to us, what is not up to us." — Epictetus (Enchiridion, opening line)

One thing that is up to me is the order I present the items in my posts.

It seemed to me that I might focus my Thoughts on my Meditations more often, so it would be better to put the quotes first.

(Given that today's Thoughts are about thinking, it somehow seemed apropos.)

In the second Meditation, Tolstoy makes a divide that appears unnecessary to me. In answering, "How shall I live?" doesn't intellect also tell me "Why am I here?"?

I am here to live with perfect virtue. This (ideally, if coincidentally) will provide both communal benefit and personal eudaimonia. I fail, but that is my purpose.

If he means only "Why do I exist?" / "Why does anything exist?", my cosmology is scientific.

Channing, however, nails it. It's so easy to draft my brain into justifying vicious actions, it's as natural as falling. And when I let it, it can bend logic into almost any tortured shape it desires.

Which brings me back to giving up my desires.....

Comments