240429 What I learned in my studies this morning 4*

Today's Meditation(s):

Discourses, 1.18.15 (Waterfield)


One of the most famous incidents from Epictetus' life (perhaps because it's one of the few we know about from his own mouth, so to speak), it's another story showing that Stoicism is meant to be a lived philosophy; mere words and thinking will not do.

More directly, Epictetus is discussing how 'one can only lose what one has.' (1.18.16) I need be grateful that I had it at all, rather than upset that I no longer do.  Alternately, I could give up more material things and thus reduce that chance that someone will disturb me by taking them from me.

Alternately again, and preferable, is to go back to the Handbook 1, and relearn that lesson. 'Some things are up to us and some things are not.' That covers all of it, if I apply it correctly.

Comments