240714 What I learned in my studies this morning 4

Today's Meditation(s):

Discourses, 4.1.115 (Waterfield)

It's a story of Diogenes and pirates, kidnapping and being sold into slavery.

Diogenes' defiance of expected order, remaining upright rather than groveling, giving commands to the pirates and the slaver, etc. showed him to be utterly free from care that these men might do him harm or cause him discomfort.

It also points to something from Seneca: can Stoics lie?

Seneca talks about how it's important not to be angry with others. I should control my emotions and not assent to passions.

But, he says, we can feign anger if necessary to achieve our goal.(De Ire, 1.14.1)


And Epictetus says that a mere word carries nothing to fear. In other words, saying 'master' isn't the issue. I meaning it, is.

So a Stoic can pretend, though I'm not sure what benefit a sage could want that saying 'master' is appropriate.

Comments