260827 What I learned in my studies this morning 6

Today's Meditation:

The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh (ed. by Melvin McLeod), Pure Land

A Pure Land, I've learned this morning, is "a transcendent realm emanated by a buddha or bodhisattva which has been purified by their activity and sustaining power. Pure lands are said to be places without the sufferings of samsara and to be beyond the three planes of existence."

Thich Nhat Hanh's point in this entry is that the Pure Land is all about me if I can just see it. 

If I open myself to the wonder of the world, maybe I can touch this realm, if only ever so briefly. But I can do it again if I keep at it. The more I look for it and open myself to the reality around me, well, and it may not get easier, but it might happen again.

And even if inspiration and enlightenment don't bloom in my soul, at least I'll have a life made better simply by making the effort.

It reminds me of an old comic....if I can find it, I'll come back and post it.

Comments