210701 What I learned in my studies this morning
A gift from a friend
Daily Stoic:
I must be true to myself. But first I must be honest with myself. If I can do that, I'll find my Tao.
I'm truly blest to have known
So long, this good man.
Amicus vitæ solatium.
Daily Stoic:
I must be true to myself. But first I must be honest with myself. If I can do that, I'll find my Tao.
I am for kindness. This seems, to me, the root of virtue. It's the first lesson I want my kids to learn from me growing up.
#BeKind
Today's Meditation:
From A Guide to the Good Life by William B. Irvine:
Chapter 22: Practicing Stoicism
Irvine offers more advice to those adopting Stoicism as a philosophy of life.
Today's Meditation:
From A Guide to the Good Life by William B. Irvine:
Chapter 22: Practicing Stoicism
Irvine offers more advice to those adopting Stoicism as a philosophy of life.
3. Use the trichotomy of Control. Identify what is up to you (what you have control over), what is not up to you (what you have no control over), and what is partially up to you (what you have some control over).
Irvine says he uses this for himself and for his friends when they are in a dither. He may ask them, "What can you do about it?" When they realize that the answer is literally nothing, it often helps allay their anxiety for a time.
It also helps you internalize your goals, making sure their center of gravity is always within you.
4. Learn from the past. Accept the present. Plan for the future.
Daily Shakespeare:
Love’s Labour’s Lost | Act 1 Scene 1

Comments
Post a Comment
Please note that I am not saying I agree or disagree with what is posted above. It is merely a recording of what I read this morning.