210707 What I learned in my studies this morning
Reading my daily
Philosophy, I'm struck by
The depth of it all.
Daily Stoic:
Daily Stoic:
It's the difference between education and learning.
If I know the details of The Odyssey, but cannot explain the moral of the story, I have not understood the story. Contrary, if I know the meaning of the story, but cannot explain what a cyclops is, I have still learned something.
Education is convincing the teacher you have retained (at least temporarily) what they said. Learning is getting it.
I wish I'd known that truth earlier in life.
Besides being armor against insults and misfortune mentioned previously, benefits Irvine has seen from employing Stoic practices include a lessening of material desires, a desire to push himself to always be better than he was before, refocusing his goals to be interior rather than exterior, and looking for ways to challenge his Stoicism so as to prove and improve it.
He was also able to use the advice from Marcus, Epictetus, Seneca, et al., to help his mother evaluate her life after a stroke.
Using Stoicism to pursue tranquility is a lifelong endeavour.






Comments
Post a Comment
Please note that I am not saying I agree or disagree with what is posted above. It is merely a recording of what I read this morning.